Saturday, June 14, 2008

Friend or Foe: Help Solve The Mystery

Unfortunately, I spent the last week trying to figure out why my text was showing up in Hindi. I tried everything that I knew to try and still the text continued to appear in Hindi. Dr. Jost looked at my site in class and she could not figure out the issue. I started a process of elimination by going to every window under the blog and at last, I came upon an area about using translations. Well, I had inadvertently touched that translation button and upon undoing this button, I was back in English! Felt mighty proud of myself, but started to wonder, "How much do I need to know about, not just program applications, but the computer hardware?" I had asked myself this question as I again thought about all of the time spent on hardware and program application issues and not on conducting my research. I was exhausted!

To exhaberate my frustrations, a computer message continued to state that I was low on memory each time I booted up. I just clicked OK and continued, but in the meantime, my computer is getting more and more sluggish! I screamed to myself, "This cannot be happening, I have too much work to do!" I decided to call my friend Rocky*. Rocky had often mentioned the assistance she received from her mother, the computer genius, in assisting her with trouble shooting her computer. Rocky's mother is the most unlikely person in the world that one would select and dub them a computer genius. Trust and believe me when I say that Rocky's mom (Ms. Annie*) is a computer genius. Ms. Annie knows about computer hardware in and out, subscribes to all of these technical magazines and I am sure has the capacity to build a computer! The irony concerning Ms. Annie is that she is still trying to figure out how to use her email! This fact brings her great laughter and delight! Ms. Annie emphatically states that she does not want to do anything with any applications until she learns about the machine! (Meanwhile, she preparing to open a store on Ebay!)

Mother and daughter arrive at my home for the rescue. As best I can articulate, with limited knowledge of hardware, this amazing lady (60ish) started to clean up my computer and as she worked, she laughed and nibbled on salsa and chips and would say in amazement, "Lord have mercy," over and over again, as her laughter gave way to wrinkled brow!

Bottom line, my computer did not have a D drive. Wait! The D drive was there, but it was in the place where my CDs are loaded. This is why I continued to get error messages. When reporting the error messages to Microsoft, message delivery failed because my computer was not being recognized and I was not receiving updates! I had no security wall! Mind you, I have been working on the Internet, in the deep web, created my blog and doing all that I needed to do! How could this be possible?

What is the mystery? Tell me what the answer to the mystery is and I will do a really special snack for next week!

When I discovered what was happening and the full details, I knew that the problem would have never been detected unless someone with hardware savvy had not continued to look deeper into my system! I almost fainted when Ms. Annie said, "Ms. Robinson, it is a wonder that you did not crash and you are one lucky woman"!

I shook my head and said, "Oh no Ms. Annie, that's called God's Favor!

No comments: